Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Running Buddy

It's gotten to the point now that my dog pal Moofie nudges my hand with her nose on Saturday mornings. She knows those are my "long run" days and she's not afraid to tell me she's ready to go.

I almost cancelled on her today, poor thing, because at 11:00 the rain was coming down sideways mixed with an icy wind. So I opened the shade in our bedroom and went back to the warmth of our bed and waited for the rain to stop--or, at least, taper off a little. Judging by the starlings nesting comfortably in the giant Douglas Fir high above our neighbor's rooftop, it was going to be awhile.

Lucky break, though, by noon the sun poked through the clouds and the rain lightened a little. Knowing that I had at least an hour and a half of running ahead of me, I took my chances and put on my gear. Moof flew off her bed as though she'd been shot out of a cannon. There was no way I was going to leave the house without her.

The first hour was virtually rain free and it wasn't until we crossed the University Bridge and headed up Roosevelt that the rain began again. By mile 8 I could tell Oatie was getting tired. Long strings of dog drool looped around her nose and dangled off her ears. She lost the spring in her stride and slowed considerably. I slowed my pace and talked to her--hoping my words would soothe her somewhat. We still had two miles to go though I was fully prepared to board the number 16 bus that'd take us the last two miles; but Oatie kept up.

Finally, 10 miles later in a mixture of sun and rain, we came home.

We've been bathed, showered, dried and fed and now it's naptime! Adieu!


No comments: