Saturday, February 04, 2006

Run Like the Wind

To be clear, I didn't want to reference that God-awful Christopher Cross song; but if you're thinking it's why I titled today's post because I listened to that on my MP3 player during my 12-mile run today, I hope that stupid little ditty gets stuck in your head for the rest of the weekend.

I did, however, enjoy a two-hour soundtrack filled with Love and Rockets. I was inspired after John Richards played "It Could Be Sunshine" on the morning show sometime last week and it put me in the best mood.

Despite all the media hype, the winds were really not that bad today, and I ought to know--having made a lap around Lake Union and Greenlake. Sure, sure--it got a little gusty now and again--but geeze, they made it sound like we're in the midst of Katrina-esque gales here. We have power, we have trees still standing upright, and by God, we have satellite TV for the big game tomorrow (rolling eyes...).

Listening to Love and Rockets took me back to my senior year in high school, when I first bought Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven. I had a brief crush on this guy named Colin who worked at the Tower Records on Beach Boulevard, and so, since he was British, I thought I was impressing him by picking up that album AND Tones on Tail. Turns out, while he wasn't impressed by my musical choices, he did take me to see Tom Waits at the Wiltern a few weeks later, but I was bored to tears. Not a good match, me and Colin.

While I listened to tracks from Express during the run, I remembered when I saw Deborah Harry live at the Roxy and I was wearing a Love and Rockets t-shirt. We stood butted up to the stage and I felt incredibly hot and yucky--so I headed toward the back of the venue and lit a cigarette. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and when I looked up, I shit you not, it was Daniel Ash himself, asking me for a light. I felt INCREDIBLY stupid wearing a Love and Rockets shirt but I think I must've lit about four or five cigarettes for him before the show was over.

I've seen Love and Rockets probably more times than I can count, though one of the best times was in Washington, D.C. We were late, my boyfriend and I--very late, and I was pretty pissed at him though I can't for the life of me remember if being late was his fault. He more than made it up to me, though, by pulling some of his concert promoter strings and getting us through a side door and walking down some stairs and through some dark corridors until we arrived backstage, behind the band. It was amazing and so much more rewarding than the last time he and I had seen them live--when they opened for Siouxsie and the Banshees in Irvine. We had arrived just as they began to play my favorite song, "Haunted When the Minutes Drag" and if you know the song, it's something like 8 minutes long (which is another reason why it's such a great song to have while running!) but it took us the ENTIRE frickin' song to get from the parking lot to our seats it they were pretty much finished by the time we got to see them.

The last time I saw them was here at the Showbox a few years ago and they still put on an amazing show. I love running to the entire Lift album. While it's hit or miss anymore if they bring out the Bubblemen for their encore, I was pretty geeked seeing them during the Bauhaus show a few years back. Poor Pa, though. While he enjoys a lot of what I listen to, he just couldn't stomach Bauhaus--even with the Bubblemen to lighten the atmosphere.

Aw well. His saving grace is that he doesn't care for Tom Waits either!

No comments: