Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Have you ever had one of those moments in your life where the little voice inside your head says, "Better not do that, or something could happen..." Sadly, I had one of those moments today, just before I lost my wedding ring.

It could be much worse--I lost the diamond band, not the engagement ring, thank God; but I'm so busted up about it I could spit. As I'm sure anyone could attest to theirs, my wedding band is beyond sentimental. Not only does it match the engagement ring, I also have a very special inscription on the inside.

The little voice spoke to me at the gym this morning as I placed the ring on the shelf in my locker so I could put on body lotion and not get it all gunked up. I put it in the front, though, so it wouldn't get lost in the pile of clothes behind it.


"Hey, don't leave that up there,"
it scolded.

I ignored the voice, of course, as I often do, and then for some strange reason, my mind wandered and I thought about the jeweler who made the ring. He lives close by and I often see him driving his big Lincoln Navigator around town. I always know it's him because the SUV is a baby barf brown and it has a big bike rack in the back. He's a nice guy, though. And then I wondered what it was that made me think about him and then I thought about the quality craftsmanship he and his brother do and I thought about how happy I was with all of the pieces they had made for us and then I thought about my husband and what a great guy he is and how kind and generous he is and how he needs a watch battery for his watch and how he never has any time to do anything like get a watch battery and how he needs some sort of a personal valet service and then I'm all, "wait, what about me? I mean I could get him a watch battery..." and then a woman who had shared my lap lane with me in the pool came over to the locker next to me and asked, "Is this your locker?" and I nodded and went back over to it to get out of her way and I hastily scooped the clothes that were laying on the top shelf and got dressed.

It wasn't until I headed back up the stairs to pick up Mr. Na in daycare when I realized my mistake. A tearful search ensued, which included several concerned women (the woman next to me had already left), Mr. Na, and the person at the front desk--all for naught--though on the plus side, a lot of the older ladies are saying prayers for me (smiling).

And now the little voice is doing it's "told ya so" number inside my head.

I had assurances from the gym staff and from the concerned ladies and from the police officer who took my report that in all likelihood it could turn up; but I'm not feeling terribly optimistic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have Faith ,little monkey, it will come back to you!!!!

princess kanomanom said...

Oh, M... I'm sorry. Every last one of my digits is crossed.

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thank you ladies!! I finally found it! Thank God my backpack was open below the locker and so when I launched it, it fell in there. Yippeee! I can't tell you how relieved I am!