Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Phooey!

In case you were wondering where I've been lately, I've been reading one of the worst novels ever written: The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

I know that having been an English major I should bow down to Mr. "Canonized" Hawthorne but, I've been out of school for 15 years and I'm sorry, my time is FAR MORE PRECIOUS now than when I was in school; therefore, I must write, with all due respect: Hawthorne's writing is what it is, and in my opinion, it's garbage.

I decided that since I didn't read The House of Seven Gables in high school or college, I'd read it now. So I did and the only reason why I'm wasting space now in my blog is to vent about some of the garbage English students are required to read. How could anyone, let alone a squirmy teenager, sit through 22 pages of endless, tedious narrative?

If it's one thing I've learned about being a parent, it's that I value what little free time I have. Wasting it on a shitty novel really pisses me off!

Ok, that's the end of my vent. I feel better now, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

princess kanomanom said...

Arg,
I so hear ya. My problem is that generally, once I start a novel, however crappy, I feel obligated to read it cover to cover. I do see evidence of this starting to shift, however, case in point: A Walker Percy read I picked up. Now this was right after finishing The Confederacy of Dunces, which is arguably the funniest book of all time, so that could have had something to do w/ it, but still, I so did not find WP's prose (what I read of it) amusing. It was way too wordy, which in my opinion, all but obliterate's an author's chance at hilarity.

So yeah, I'm workin' on it.

Down w/ shitty books!