Friday, February 20, 2004

10 fashion moments only a 40-year-old can get right:
From Anna Johnson is the author of Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive

1. Wearing Yves Saint Laurent's Opium to breakfast

2. Stealing her husband's shirts, ties or even his pants if she needs to

3. Teaming a Chanel jacket with jeans

4. Tying a Hermés scarf around the handle of her handbag

5. A real-deal, full-length ballgown

6. Diamonds at brunch and a seriously fake cocktail ring

7. Camellias on a lapel

8. A dress shirt and a black-leather pencil skirt

9. A classic Chanel handbag

10. Red lipstick with red high heels

My favorite quote in the article: "'Mom' clothes are supposed to be sporty and spill-proof but who said you can’t cook a casserole with a pinch of cleavage?"

I laugh as I type this wearing a very small "Drive-In Theatre" t-shirt sans bra. And the funny thing is, I used to laugh at this picture I have of my mother with my sister and me. I am about 3 or 4; Teresa is about 8 or 9 and Mom is about 34 and she's wearing a pair of purple velvet hotpants with white Go Go boots and a body suit with a plunging neckline that would make Christina Aguilera blush. And the picture was only taken in our livingroom! Fact is, Mom knew what she was doing...she was preserving her youth. And she looked a hell of a lot better at 34 then she did at 20--when she first came to the U.S. and she wore full skirts with crinolins and flats. I used to spend endless afternoons with her shopping at the Wild Pair for the perfect purple macrame sandals with cork stilleto heels. And for even more drama, Mom WORE those heels while we climbed the cobblestoned streets of Heidleburg in 1981.

As I stare down the inevitible path of middle youth, I realize I am not very different from my mom. Sure, things have changed and you won't see me wearing cork stilletos, but I do appreciate looking good which promotes feeling good.

And I won't stop wearing my Paul Frank collection. Julius Rocks.

No comments: