Sunday, April 02, 2006

She's Going the Distance



I'm done. Hurray! I'm sore as hell, still in a fog, and I reek of Icy Hot but I'm so glad it's over. Took a little longer than I had hoped, but those damned hills--ugh! I was doing super great the first half, but by mile 16 I was feeling it. My legs started to lock up.

So, without further adieu, in the words of Warner Wolf: "Let's Go to the Videotape!" and I'll give you a rundown of today's event:

Miles 1-6 -- These were really uneventful, except for the scenic view across the Deception Pass Bridge. It was breathtakingly beautiful, but we ran across it during the first mile so I was still more geeked about running the race instead of site-seeing.

Miles 7-8 -- I spent some time talking to a man who was running his 16th marathon in four years. In fact, he had just returned from running the L.A. Marathon two weeks ago. If you think running an average of four marathons a year is ambitious, there were other runners who had just completed a marathon yesterday, before coming to run this one. Judging how I feel right now (sore, sore, sore), I couldn't imagine! Anyway, it was cool talking to someone during the race--it made the time pass really fast (even though it was only a mile) and he brought my pace up to about a minute faster, yet I managed to still carry on a conversation.

Miles 9-10 -- We encountered our first big hill, which went on for an entire mile. So much for my faster pace!!! I'm thankful for my hill training. I dropped back a little, but I was still running faster than my half marathon and I was feeling really good. I take my first shot of Gu and chase it with water at the mile 10 station.

Mile 11 -- OH MY GOD, DEBBIE GIBSON???? Good grief! I can't believe Pa slipped that in to the mix! I literally busted up out loud and I must've looked like a crazy person when I blurted out, "NO WAY!"

Miles 12-13 -- I beat my half marathon time (from December) by four minutes; but what's this?? Aaaugh! Another mile-long hill. I shit you not, these hills were literally a mile long each. This was the first time I really paid attention to the scenery since we descended into Oak Harbor and passed the Naval Air Station.

Mile 14 -- The aforementioned hill that started at mile 13. Aaaaugh!

Miles 15-16 -- Okay, now I'm starting to feel the burn, especially in my lower back (right side) and my right heel. It doesn't help that I'm listening to "Shock the Monkey" in German. That man o' mine has some sense of humor. Har Har!

Miles 17-20 -- I recovered ok and started to make up some lost time on the last hill. Now we're starting to edge around Penn Cove and the outside of Oak Harbor. It's really starting to hit me that I'm going to finish in an hour!

Mile 21 -- I'm trying to remember if "Sulu" from Star Trek is Korean or Chinese and I take another shot of Gu.

Mile 22 -- Oh Lord, it's another hill.

Mile 23 -- I'm a fucking moron for doing this. I realize that I won't beat Oprah's time. Fucking Oprah! That last hill took a lot out of me and my legs are starting to lock up.

Mile 24 -- Ok, TWO MORE MILES!! I can do this. I actually start to pick up the pace a bit and wonder where this sudden burst of energy is coming from.

Mile 25 -- ANOTHER HILL! What the fuck??? So much for the extra reserve of energy. I try and take my mind off of the pain in my legs. We pass a really nice brown bungalow overlooking the water and I wonder how our bungalow would look in brown with pink windowpanes. I know Pa would scoff at the idea. Maybe in 50 years when he passes, I muse--so long, of course, as I still like those colors together. Of course knowing him, he'll add a clause to our Will specifiying what colors are allowed on the house.

Mile 26 -- Just .2 to go and since we have to round a corner, I can't see the finish line from here but, judging from the folks cheering on the corner, I know it's just 'round the bend. I get a little emotional here--knowing that I'm about to finish my first full marathon. All those months of hard work: running in the rain, running while sick, and running up hills...it all boils down to those final moments when I see Pa and Na smiling at me as I cross the finish.

Here's Pa's "Team Monkita Marathon Mix" Playlist:

While You See a Chance - Steve Winwood
Alphabet Lost and Found - They Might Be Giants
Annie Waits - Ben Folds
Army - Ben Folds
Born at the Right Time - Paul Simon
Clocks - Coldplay
corduroy - Pearl Jam
Doesn't Remind Me - Audioslave
Down on the Corner - Johnny Marr + The Healers
Drain You - Nirvana
Freedom 90 - George Michael
Groove is in the Heart - Dee-Lite
I Like the Way You Move - Outkast
If I Ever Lose My Faith in You - Sting
Il Ballerino - Jovanotti
It Takes Two - Rob Base
Just A Girl - No Doubt
Keep Feeling Fascination - The Human League
Key to Her Ferrari - Thomas Dolby
Millenium - Robbie Williams
Karma Police - Radiohead
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller
Only in my Dreams - Debbie Gibson
R.I.P. 20 C - Love and Rockets
Reeling in the Years - Steely Dan
Save it For Later - The English Beat
Shock Den Auffen - Peter Gabriel
That's Just What You Are - Aimee Mann
The Distance - Cake
This Love - Maroon 5
Feel Good - The Gorillaz
Under Pressure - Queen
Volcano - Presidents of the United States
Waiting for Somebody - Paul Westerberg
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'n Roses
Where it's At - Beck
Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club
Daft Punk is Playing at My House - LCD Soundsystem

3 comments:

princess kanomanom said...

You rock, Mama! And you know, I didn't realize just how hilly it was until I spoke w/ my dad last night (he ran the Half). He was like, "Whoa, she ran her first M on that course??"

Nice work. I hope you have a Nordstrom Spa treatment lined up, lady. You certainly deserve it.

(Oh, and so funny, the randomness of one's thoughts over the course of those last few miles, eh? You thought 'bungalow paint job', I thought, er, I don't remember. It was something off the wall, though.)

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Yeah, pro'ly not the wisest choice--this to have been my first. But that only means I can improve my time with flatter courses. LA anyone????

Thanks! You were with me in spirit!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, M! Wow. What an accomplishment. -Alyssa