Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Are You a Bibliophil?

One of my goals this year is to read a book a week--except for when I finally dig into Bill Clinton's autobiography. That might take awhile longer!

A few months ago, some friends turned me on to this site -- which is an awesome way to keep track of my personal library and look to see what books other people recommend. If you sign up (it's free), you can request me, LeFemmeMonkita, as a buddy. Plus, I love the "100 Most Frequently Challenged Books" list.

Right now, I'm halfway through The Terezin Diary of Gonda Redlich. I'm so glad I found this book. I think I learned more from this man's journal than I did visiting Terezin last year. It's great information for my book, which the first draft, by the way, is nearly complete!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Monkita, that is GREAT news.

I haven't been to that site in ages b/c it's sooo slooow.

But, I read Neil Gaiman's Coraline yesterday and thought of you. It is sufficiently creepy to give spine tingles of horror.

I'm so excited you're approaching the end of your first draft!

Anonymous said...

Ooops. In case you couldn't figure it out, that was me (alyssa). LOL

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thanks Alyssa! I would have loved to have written about Terezin's liberation today--since it's the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, but it just didn't happen!! Why is it that the "seemingly" easiest part of a book is always the hardest part to finish?

Anonymous said...

Gosh, at least with me it's because I have so many built-up preconceptions about how I want that particular scene to play out, how dramatic and wonderful and satisfying I want it to be and I'm afraid that when I actually write it, it won't live up. Thing is, I have to start somewhere. Maybe it will be a great first draft. Maybe it will suck raw eggs. It doesn't matter; I'm just creating the clay. Then I mold it. Then I throw it, then I glaze it, then I fire it. And if it still sucks, I make clay again.

If that makes any sense...

Anonymous said...

Oh crap, that was me again. HA! Alyssa

LeFemmeMonkita said...

It makes perfect sense!! Thank you. In fact, I just wrote 1,5505 words! I'M BACK, BABY!

Hey, so when are we going to do lunch? Send me mail!

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Whoops! That was supposed to be 1,505! Ha ha!! I got a little carried away!