Monday, October 25, 2004

I've just returned from the Surrey Writers Conference. It was my first time there but my third writers conference and I've come to the conclusion that I need to stop going to these things until I have a finished manuscript. I'm not learning anything new and I can't really make a connection with someone until I've got something to show. Needless to say, it was inspiring in that regard and I've made myself a promise to write new pages EVERY DAY come hell or high water. I've also vowed to have my ms finished by the end of the year--a lofty goal, but one I'm very serious about.

Anne Perry, Michael Slade and Elizabeth George were great keynote speakers. I jumped for joy when Elizabeth George announced that she thought The Davinci Code was one of the worst novels ever written. I was standing in the back of the room when she spoke, and some asswipe turned to me and sighed and said, "Just another jealous writer..."

I couldn't believe all of the groupies who followed Diana Gabaldon, Don Maas and Michael Slade around like puppy dogs. That was just about the silliest thing I'd ever seen.

But the best part of the conference was rooming with two of the loveliest women in the world! Our conversations about writing, ghosts, siblings, parents, significant others, the silly writer groupies, and hormones lasted well into the night and I swear it was the best time I'd spent with two women--ever! We talked about an idea to get all of our writer friends together for a weekend writing retreat somewhere very fun like on a coast or like in Savannah so we could do what we love doing together--writing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dudettes, i am so there if you get it together. ocean shores, maybe? or oregon coast? i'd come back for that!!!

xoxo

--caryn

LeFemmeMonkita said...

C, we'll come to you! I mean, not Manhattan because it's way too cool to get anything done (and I don't know how you do it!) but maybe somewhere either midwest or somewhere fun on the east coast since this is where--eventually--almost everyone will be!

nicole said...

It was a writing conference? Really? Not a girly weekend slumber party extravaganza? Are you sure? :) It wouldn't have been the same without you - thanks for helping make it such a fun experience for my lil' introverted self.