Monday, August 16, 2004

Garden State/Zero 7/Losing Yourself in Music

I realize I'm behind the times--having just bought Zero 7's album "Simple Things" which was released in 2001; but I'd only heard one of the tracks--In the Waiting Line--this past Saturday when we saw Garden State.

I thought Garden State was a cool little flick...a nice digression from the summer's blockbuster-o-rama. I like Zack Braff and to my surprise his writing stirred me emotionally. I could relate, somewhat, to his fuckedupness and realization that there's a point in time where you simply have to address your problems or they'll fester. It's hard, too, when you're in love with someone yet you know there's still lots of shit to be sorted through without any distraction. You either have to slay the dragon alone--or run the risk of ignoring it.

Anyway, so while I was out surfing iTunes today, I ran across Zero 7 and gave a listen to the rest of the album, which--for me--is quickly becoming my new "writing CD". It's melodic and "girlie swirlie", meaning that it's neither aggressive nor poppy. Much like Garden State, it too is a detour from the summer's hit-o-rama. If I hear Maroon 5 again, I will puke.

The tracks seem to just blend into one another, which is nice for me while I work, since I suffer from a short attention span to begin with; but so far, In the Waiting Line is my favorite on the album.

Just in case anyone thought I was going soft in my old age--I also picked up Interpol's "Turn on the Bright Lights." I look forward to seeing them with THE CURE this Saturday...yep...I'M TAKING MY TWO YEAR-OLD TO A CURE CONCERT! That'll make for a fun Audioblog!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite song by Zero 7 is "Destiny," which appeared on the Roswell soundtrack. I don't know if it's on the 2001 album...but if not, let me know and I'll send it to you. It's in my Jaded Music iTunes playlist.

--Jade

nicole said...

WHY CAN'T I BE YOU!? Oh please please please can you adopt me just for this Saturday and take me to The Cure concert too!? :) You are *so* cool! I love the Cure but haven't heard them in ages (all my CDs are in storage in Oz). Have a fab time at the concert and YES do an audio blog (perhaps of Peter singing along to 'Baby Screams'?).