Monday, November 08, 2010

Blogger, Interrupted

This has been an incredibly wacky fall, beginning with my big brother's need to surf on our basement couch for 9 weeks. Yes, 9 weeks--the beginning of which I had just accepted a part time job, thinking this would be the perfect time to do it, with La La going to preschool four days a week for four hours a day. Sadly, much of that time was soaked up by the aforementioned couch-surfing sibling; but somewhere in the middle of it all, I ran in the Portland Marathon--my first full marathon in three years. How'd I do? I sucked, thanks. I had planned to finish in 4:30 and I finished 20 minutes later. I blame the rain that wouldn't stop; I blame the shoelace that mysteriously worked itself out of a double-knot after mile 21; I blame the cramp in my knee; and I blame the MAX light rail track I somehow managed to stumble over and roll my ankle at mile 24. So what's next? Eugene on May 1. My splits in Portland were too frickin' good for 21.5 miles for me to be happy with my finish time.

The bright side to all of this is that I HAVE been writing! Every single day, just--not here. It's been a good little writing gig, so far, though it's hard for me to muster up enthusiasm for senior center announcements. I still manage to have some fun with it.

My brother left on Friday and I think the whole household breathed a sigh of relief. So, for me, it means I can focus on the dozen or so things I'm supposed to focus on, and not the one that takes up most of my time and emotions. Maybe, too, this means I'll be making more regular appearances here on Canned Goods. It would seem such a shame to discontinue the same blog I've had for the last six years.