Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Memories of Maroon and Gray Color Wars

I had the most random conversation with a guy from my running group last Saturday and as it turns out, he and I went to the same camp at the same time over 30 years ago in New Jersey.

We were talking about the heat, which led us to talking about the humidity on the East coast, which led him to ask me where I grew up, which led me to tell him I spent part of my childhood in Bergen County, New Jersey, which led him to say, "No way, me too!" which led me to ask him the name of his town, which led him to tell me he lived in Ramsey, which led me to tell him I lived in River Vale which led me to add that I went to camp at Knights Day Camp in Upper Saddle River, which led him to say,

"HOLY SHIT! I DID TOO!"

Bizarre, but true. We spent the next hour or so reminiscing about the camp and lamenting over its demise and the death of Uncle Maurice--a man who not only founded the camp, but created such a fun, memorable atmosphere that 35,000 happy campers, over a 25 year period sang "We Love You Knights Day Camp" every morning on the bus ride in.

Turns out, my friend and I were both there in 1977, and we were both nine at the time, though we don't remember one another. I told him that was the year when, during a game of Hares and Hounds, I managed to step on a fallen yellow jackets nest and was stung by 13 bees. I was surprised he didn't remember someone with long blonde hair running up to the infirmary with a cloud of bees following closely behind like something out of a cartoon. I had a pretty bad reaction from the stings, too, and I swelled as bad as Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I had to be taken from the infirmary to a nearby doctor who removed the bee stings one-by-one. Uncle Maurice came to the doctor's office and drew a Purple K on my (good) hand for being so brave and later that night, he called my mom to see how I was doing. Still high on Chlor-Trimeton, I went to camp the very next day, since I didn't want to miss out on any of the fun.

That was the summer, too, when I wore the highly fashionable Wonder Woman bathing suit, and got mad when another girl in my group had one as well. I also got mad because when I got my Junior Lifesaving pin, I wore it and it left a rusty mark on the suit. My friend told me he'd talk to his parents to see if they could dig up the pictures of camp that year. He distinctly remembers seeing pictures of him in his group, The Exterminators, during the "Buddy System" in front of the Plake (the camp's pool/lake combo). He said he'd be on the look out for Wonder Woman (or her imposter).

Each camper received two or three gray Knights Day Camp t-shirts, with an illustrated Maroon-colored knight in the upper right hand corner and we took pride in the shirts--wearing them everyday with our Adidas shorts and tube socks. I think I asked my mother to find tube socks with maroon and gray bands so I could be color coordinated.

My friend has a lot keener memory than I do. He remembers "Sloppy Slurching" where we trudged in the muddy water behind the cemented Plake and his parents even have his old banner with the merit badges he earned. I wish I had saved something...anything. Sigh!

Every year, we had one overnight at the camp, which was the highlight of the summer. This is where we learned of the legend of the Purple Knight who would come to the camp once everyone was asleep and leave his trademark Purple K on an unsuspecting, but lucky, camper. None of us got to see the Purple Knight in person (it wasn't Uncle Maurice), until the very last day of camp, when he made his appearance on horseback as the buses pulled away.

We also discussed the annual "Color Wars", and as it turns out, he was on the Maroon side (I was on the Gray team). Color Wars was a week-long competition at the end of the summer. The competing teams earned points with various activities including archery, swimming, and the ever-popular volleyball-esque game called "Nuke 'em" where players had to catch the ball or lose a teammate. I can remember we also had a sing-off and cheer-off competition to see which team had the most spirit. That year, the announcer played a trick by calling the Maroon Team winners...only to psyche everyone out and give the win to the Gray Team. My friend insists on doing a re-match.

I'm up for the challenge...so long as it doesn't involve running! My friend ran Boston this year and I've yet to earn a respectable qualifying time to do so.

It'll have to be Sloppy Slurching!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I attended knights day camp from 1966 to 1969. thank you for the memories. sloppy slurching memory just came back. I remember Uncle maurice. Remember taking bus from rivervale and every time went by Valley Fair department store we would yell "Valley fair, Valley jip"

Anonymous said...

KDC has a Facebook page to wallow in, including old group photos, and lots of people seem to be finding each other that way. It seems very few of us have moved from Bergen County as far as Seattle, but now I know there are at least two.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories! I remember the knight being called 'The Purple K rider'. Uncle Maurice rocked.

Anonymous said...

I was maroon in 1982. We won the color war that year.
what memories.

I didn't know the camp was closed

Unknown said...

Pamela Kogan , I can remember going to the camp with my sister Michelle. I believe we went from 81- 85. We took the bus from Paramus every morning . I am having a problem posting on the Facebook alumni page. Could some email me at Pamela.Kogan@yahoo.com to help me.

Roxy Knight said...

Wow, I went to Knights Day Camp too. Don't remember if I lived in Palisades Park or Northvale at the time, but it was the early 80's when I was there.

Unknown said...

I was a "Knighter" back in the day (1963-1970) Color War, Purple K, the Plake, which I remember going in BEFORE they paved it in and called it a Pool/Lake (Plake). The lake was actually paved in after a camper drowned and wasn't found for over an hour. She was the reason for the buddy system during swimming. I also received the Red Cross swim certifications and cards. We were then allowed to life guard. Great times, great music, dodge ball in the upper Barn, T-P's in the outer field (along with a real Native American Indian), nature hunts and the nature lodge. Sleep overs, Bon-Fires, subdued anti-war rallies with the defiant counselors/CIT's. What a way to grow up!!! Let's here it for Bergen County/Teaneck/Upper Saddle River, NJ!!!

OFX039 said...

How can I forget 'Sloppy Slurching'? I remember on an overnight my camp section slept 'under the stars', and I ended up with a face infested with bug bites. Ouch!! LOL

Nicole said...

I went to knights day camp too. I was there in 77. I remember the sleep overs and waking up in the morning with a K on my cheek.

Emanuel David said...

My sister and I, along with a bunch of neighbor kids from Englewood right off Rt.4, attended KDC in '66, '67 and '68.
I remember when the "plake" was sand, and then when it was concretized. Many great days of fun and swimming ... did not know it had closed down 32 years ago.