Thursday, June 19, 2008

Running in Ukraine?

I had pretty much tossed all hopes aside that I would do some running in Ukraine during our trip in mid-July. Having been there before, the idea of running seemed kind of far-fetched, what with all of the crazy drivers on the road and the lack of sidewalks. The stray dogs, too, kind of puts a damper on any desire to run.

I am a creature of habit and like to run close to home, rather than feeling all adventurous to blaze a new trail--though I will admit I have been bold during certain trips to other cities, and I've run routes in Barcelona, Helsinki, New York, Las Vegas, Honoloulu. But there have been times when I've held back, feeling a little unsure of my safety--particularly in Paris, Madrid, London and Prague. It's mostly because of the high volume of traffic and the layout of the cities.

So, along with my decision not to run in Ukraine, I skipped plans to run in a marathon this fall since I figured I'd be gone most of the summer and would miss at least two or three 20-mile training runs, not to mention the fact that I'd have to consider running up mountains made out of coal slag for hill training since Ukraine is about as flat as Kansas. My decision left me kind of bummed, too, because I've been hankering to do the Portland Marathon so I can finally get a decent finish time.

But this morning, I got home from my run and Pa asked me if I had planned any running routes in Ukraine. I kinda looked at him sideways and said,
"I don't think it's safe, do you?"
He said for sure he'd feel safe in Kiev and that once we got to our child's city or village, I could determine whether or not I'd feel comfortable. And then, of course, a new seed was planted in my brain. I mean, sheesh, we'll have so much down-time during our travel, it would seem a shame not to spend some of that time running. So, I'm thinking about it more in earnest now...but of course thinking means planning, since I'd have to schlep more crap with me (i.e. running shoes, socks, shorts, shirts, sports bras, hats, sunglasses, My Forerunner (GPS), bluetooth headset, water belt and bottles, and packets of Gu. And if you're dying of laughter at the thought of all my "gear" then you should try running 10-20 miles without most of the above. You'd be bored to tears, dehydrated, lost, and low on blood sugar.

Seriously, though, all that crap means needing space in my already-maxed-out-luggage or worse--having to pack a second bag. And when you're in Ukraine, climbing four flights of stairs in a post-communist apartment building with a broken elevator that has a spray painted "Anarchy" symbol on it and you're sweating your ass off because it's 98 degrees with 100% humidity, having a second bag just for running clothes really seems asinine.

Aw well, I'll figure it out. For me, running takes the edge off...makes me feel awesome...helps me to sleep like a baby at night...and I'll admit, if I don't plan to run, I will miss it while we're gone. Seems pretty silly to leave behind a great form of therapy during a super-huge stressful time.

6 comments:

The Flying Eagle said...

hello fellow runner and soon to be mom. I too was having this dilema although mine is a little easier as I have only done 1/2 marathons. I getting slowly recovering from a thyroid failure that put me out for over a year. Now that I feel good enough to run, I so desperately do NOT want to stop -- especially during a very stressful time of being in a country where I know hardly anyone and can not talk to hardly anyone!!! So here is what my solution was going to be... I was going to bring just the clothing adn shoe gear and limit myself to 5 mile runs, even if that means I take two runs in one day. That way giving me enough in between time to rehydrate. I am lucky that my husband will run 2-3 miles with me if the area is questionable. And for worst case, I have been looking for a "male approved" intense workout dvd that my husband and I can do in the apartment together. I have heard others say they get all kinds of crazy looks when people see them running, they keep looking behind them to see who is chasing them!!! Good thing about running clothes -- they dont take up my room in the suitcase! Happy running and mothering. Monica

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thanks Monica, sounds like you have the right idea! Perhaps I should just limit myself to shorter runs (which means less junk to schlep). If you see the red text up above (the place where Pa says he thought Kiev would be safe) click on that and there's an interesting article about running in Kiev! Happy trails!

Dan said...

Whenever I'm running in a strange city, I do it this way - I run in one direction for a little while, then head back to the hotel. Then I'll go in another direction... and so on. This greatly reduces my chances of getting lost, and gives me the opportunity to see different parts of the city. Love your blog (mine is dsieger.blogspot.com) - and have a great trip!

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thanks for readin Dan! Good advice, too. I wonder if my Forerunner GPS will work out ok in Ukraine. But sticking to a straight path seems like a good idea.

Ok, I'm off to read yours!

Dan said...

I think your Garmin should work in the Ukraine - but be prepared to have it take a looooong time to find the satellite the first time. That was my experience when I used my Garmin in Japan last year.

adoptedthree said...

Hi found your blog through Christine's

Yes they do run in Ukraine. In Kyiv we saw many people running by the river (more in the apartment districts rather then downtown).

I would not worry about feeling scared in the towns. Just leave the money and goods behind but do always carry your passport just in case!

Leanna
mom to three ua cuties