Monday, June 05, 2006

For the Love of Herbie

As soon as Pa gets home, I'll be working on my Herbie the Love Bug practice cake number two. Number one was totaled earlier today in a rollover accident, creating a cakey, gooey, burnt mess on the bottom of my oven.

How was I supposed to know that the cake pan would become too top heavy and tip over? It's torture I tell ya and I'm really getting tempted, at this point, to fly out my friend, the best damn cake sculptress of the world; but she's got twins who are turning four in a few weeks too, and she's probably swamped with wedding season. The next best thing, she's offered, is technical support via phone.

Good thing I have enough foresight, at least, to do a practice run (or two) because I'd be in a far worse state if it was Saturday night and I had to turn around and go back to QFC for two more boxes of Duncan Hines and a box of unsalted butter. Besides, I'm working with Fondant for the first time in my life and while Krissy says it's about as fun as playing with Play-Doh, I'm a little skeptical of my skills--or lack thereof--in the cake decorating department.

You know, if I step back far enough and say, "Wait a sec, this is just for a 4 year-old," I'd probably curl into a fetal position and demand to be left alone; but I can't help but WANT to make this stupid cake (actually I'm making three--no, four, now with the one totaled, not including the cupcakes for Preschool). Perhaps it's just me being eager to please, doing everything in my power to create memorable experiences for Mr. Na. Or I'm as manic as I sound.

Either way, God willing, I will post the finished product when all is done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU goofball!! I think it's awesome you want to do this for him!! I have never worked with fondant either but I hear it's fun!!Hey what's a few dings it's a car!!?? HAHA throw a sticker on it!Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

my friend teresa once made the cake on the cover of let it be for a friend's 40th birthday.

princess kanomanom said...

Oh my god, your friend is a cake decorating dynamo! I love the green & purple retro-y one.

Patrick Gauer said...

Yeah I think that's cool too, especially for the lucky kids who get to receive that! You should post some pictures of the result!