Saturday, February 05, 2005

So close, and yet so far away...

I wrote an entire chapter for my novel this week. This is a momentous announcement because it's something I haven't done in over a year. 5,044 words and 20 pages is quite an accomplishment for me. The only problem is, when I started writing about liberation, my characters refused to leave the ghetto! So, I'm giving them two weeks to clear out and to help the sick find their way to a Prague hospital before they themselves return to Germany.

I see light at the end of the tunnel. Now, if only my characters would agree.

4 comments:

nicole said...

This is so wonderful! You must be feeling super happy with yourself. Congratulations! It's so surreal to me to hear a writer explain that his/her characters won't cooperate or are doing something completely unexpected. I haven't written enough fiction to experience a character having independent thought and action, so I find the idea of this completely fascinating! Is it painful for you as a writer, because you can't progress your book, or can you sort of laugh about it? At least your characters are acting humanely. Nice work in bringing them to life in the first place!

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thanks Nicole!
That's what I love so much about "organic writing". You never know which way the pen (or, in my case, the keyboard) will lead you. I know how my book ends, but part of the fun is the journey. I usually take a "wait and see" approach and if, in my later drafts, I find that my characters meandered too much, I'll cut parts out. Anyway, it's kinda cool sitting down to write something and then being surprised with how things go! I blame it entirely on my characters (and I also blame my blame on Elizabeth Engstrom who taught me how to communicate with them!)

Waving "hi" to my neighbor in the north!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on this accomplishment!
Jade Walker

LeFemmeMonkita said...

Thanks Jade!