Thursday, May 05, 2005

One woman's luck is another woman's misfortune

This day started out positively shitty. Actually, let me back up and start from yesterday when I accidentally locked the dog in my husband's office for a few hours; and then forgot to close the garage door.

We live on a fairly busy street in a nice, middle class neighborhood; however, I'd be lying if I didn't mention the prostitutes who conduct business less than a mile from here or the transients who come by late at night and knock on the door, offering to mow our lawn for money. This is a city and that's our reality. We still love it here.

So needless to say, when I discovered my garage door having been left open all night, I panicked. Not only are our bikes stowed there, but my husband has a woodshop with many tools.

It could have been worse--luckily only one bike was stolen; but it was my bike and I was PISSED. I was mad at everyone, including hubby because he wasn't home. And, since I didn't want to take my anger out on my son, I called his father:

PA: Hello?

MA: SOMEONE STOLE MY BIKE!

PA: How?

MA: I LEFT THE GARAGE DOOR OPEN ALL NIGHT, THAT'S HOW.

PA: Oh, shit! Did they take anything else?

MA: HOW SHOULD I KNOW? I DON'T HAVE AN INVENTORY OF YOUR TOOLS!

PA: Ok, well, I need you to calm down and...

MA: DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! YOU...

NA: Mommy? I wanna go bye bye!

MA: Not now, honey, Mommy's yelling at Papa.

NA: Why?

PA: Yeah, why are you yelling at me?

MA: BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT HOME!

PA: This would have happened regardless if I was home or not.

MA: THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT...

I'll spare you the rest of the conversation. Especially because he was right. But after finding out we had a $500 deductible for theft loss, I was livid.

Fast forward to a few hours later, as I'm entering my neighborhood. Less than a block from my house, out of the corner of my eye, I spot a bike laying on the sidewalk. I stepped on the brakes.

NA: Mama, what was that?

MA: Is that my bike?

Sure enough, it was. I got out of the car, picked up the bike and put (as much as I could of) it in my trunk. A woman on her front porch waved to me.

WOMAN: Is that your bike?

MA: Yes, it was stolen from my garage last night, which I accidentally left open.

WOMAN: Oh, well, whoever stole it, stole my car!

MA: You're kidding?

WOMAN: Yep, right in front of my house.

MA: Was it unlocked?

WOMAN (blushing): Well, see, I have a baby...

MA: Say no more, my friend. I completely understand.

Anyway, I'm happy I have my bike but sad for my neighbor. Hopefully, the police can lift some fingerprints off of the bike.

On the plus side, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with "mommy memory".

No comments: